Company History

In the early Showa period, Zentaro Moriya, our founder, settled here in Yasugi in connection with Yasuki Steel. He had been entitled to “Mukansa”, the title given to a master of the sword-smith in identifying, polishing and producing Japanese swords, as a distinguished sword-smith “Shoryu Munemitsu”.

Since then, Moriya Cutlery Laboratory, always being a front runner, has been creating higher technologies aiming at high in the future as a precision-product-manufacturer of the forefront machines, keeping the tradition of “Sword-smith Munemitsu”, based on “Yasuki Steel”, an inheritance of “Tama Hagane” from which Japanese swords would be made, and on our skill on the top level.

April 1953 Moriya Workshop was inaugurated in Yasugi.
Zentaro Moriya assumed the presidency.
It became a captive subcontract company of Yasugi Works, Hitachi, Ltd.
January 1956 Due to dissolution of the cutlery laboratory in the Yasugi Works of Hitachi,
Ltd. ,a new factory was establish in the Seaside Plant of Yasugi
Works,Hitachi, Ltd. as Moriya Cutlery Laboratory Ltd.
September 1966 The factory was moved to: 200-29 Kuroida-cho, Yasugi.
October 1979 Hiroyoshi Moriya assumed the presidency.
August 1984 Head Office and Factory were moved to 113-1 Enoshima-cho, Yasugi-shi.
June 1989 Mitsumasa Moriya assumed the presidency.
July 1996 A new company, NPI (Newport Precision Incorporation) was established through joint capital investment with Hitachi Metals America, Ltd. (In Newport, TN, USA).
June 2001 Mitsuhiro Moriya assumed the presidency.
March 2003 We were certified according to ISO9001:2000 for the production of vanes for vehicles (trucks, cars etc.) and for hydraulic pumps.
April 2008 Tokyo Sales Office was opened.
March 2009 NPI(Newport Precision Incorporation)was dissolved.
October 2013 We were certified according to ISO/TS16949:2009.
October 2019 We were certified according to AS9100:D.